We’ve put together a few tips on how not to blow the budget:
- Shop around. The prices at your local fresh fruit and veg shop are often much lower than the bigger retailers.
- Keep your eyes peeled for items that are on special – these reductions can mean big savings!
- Try growing your own herbs and spices. This is much more cost effective than buying them weekly at the supermarket.
- Often bargains can be found in areas with strong cultural influences. Think about buying your rice, Asian sauces and herbs in Chinatown, and your tinned tomatoes and spices in Middle Eastern shopping areas.
- Buy non-perishables in bulk, such as rice, frozen peas and tinned foods. Don’t be afraid to freeze. Many ingredients can be portioned up and frozen until they’re ready to be used.
- If you are unable to find an ingredient, swap it for something that looks similar or for the frozen version, e.g. swap fresh blueberries for frozen berries or grapes.